Structural Engineering Consulting
In the aftermath of incidents such as fires or explosions, or following catastrophic events such as hurricanes, tornadoes, floods or other weather extremes, the safety of a damaged structure may be called into question:
- Has its structural integrity been compromised?
- Do structural repairs need to be made before other repairs can be performed?
- Is it even safe to enter?
Experienced and Conveniently Located Staff
Rimkus' staff structural engineering experts are located in many of our offices so they can respond quickly to questions such as these. They are experienced in the design, analysis and construction of structural systems for residential and commercial buildings; industrial, petrochemical and manufacturing facilities; as well as bridges, signs, towers and more.
Forensic Training and Investigation Experience
Coupled with extensive forensic experience, we are uniquely qualified to evaluate structural damage stemming by a variety of causes including wind events like hurricanes and tornadoes, flooding, ice and snow loading, fires and explosions, mechanical impact from vehicles and debris, ground subsidence or nearby construction. We have investigated collapses and failures of building components, differential foundation movement, long-term deterioration effects on structural components and design and construction defects.
Specific Structural Analysis Experience
Our past assignments have included a wide range of structural matters, including the following:
- Overall structural analysis of building components to determine forces, displacements and stresses.
- Determination of design loads for existing and new structures, including evaluation of present and past building codes as applicable.
- Determination of forces resulting from various natural and man-made sources, including blasts/explosions, earthquakes, wind, vehicles, construction vibrations, wave/surge impact, projectiles, storm water accumulation, snow/ice loading, and expansion/contraction associated with changes in temperature and moisture content combined with physical restraint.
- Evaluation of various structural materials, including both plain and reinforced concrete, structural and miscellaneous steel, unreinforced and reinforced masonry, wood/timber structural systems, aluminum structural components and light-gauge steel.
- Evaluation of structural connection failures.
- Analysis of complex structural failure phenomena, including forced displacement failure, lateral torsional buckling analysis and vibration analysis.
To better our clients needs and to permit rapid response to assignments, Rimkus maintains offices in the following locations: